Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

23 Week Recap: CLE Showers Bring May Flowers!

23 Weeks - Proud Momma & Daddy!
Week 23 was one of the best yet!!  It was our Cleveland Baby Shower!! 

The beginning of the week was spent getting Drew ready for his week-long training in Cleveland for his new job.  As much as I hated to think about him being gone for a week, I know I need to support him and encourage him to do whatever it takes to be successful in this new career path - so suck it up, buttercup!  Nothing but smiles and encouraging word from this proud wifey.

He left on Thursday to drive the truck up since a) he was staying another week for his training and b) someone needed to be able to take the gifts we got at the shower home!  Considering I'm peeing like every 7 minutes on average, we both refused for me to ride 8 hours to Cleveland - so Momma and I invested in plane tickets and let me say, it was one of the smartest decisions I've ever made.  Momma came to town to spend the night because our flight was leaving early Friday morning (however, that didn't stop us from staying up WAY too late, like we always do) .  Anyway, never did I realize how big the Charlotte Douglas airport was until I had to scale the entire thing 6 months pregnant and in flip flops.  And as always, our concourse was pretty much the furthest away that it could have been.  But I figured I could use the walk and made the best of it.  After 30 minutes of walking and $40 spent at Starbucks, we finally made it to our gate, with enough time to spare for me to use the bathroom 3 times and to eat our $7 banana nut muffins and lattes (1/2 caf, 1/2 decaf for me - although in retrospect I should have swung for the FULL caf this time - with the trek across the airport, I think I deserved it).  Either way, our flight was finally called and we were Cleveland bound, baby!!
Cohen's First Airplane Ride!!
Momma and I settled in and thankfully, they placed us only about 3 rows from the back, so I was really close to the bathroom!  Usually I'd rather sit more near the front, but this time I was super happy to be near the back - turbulence and all.  Cohen LOVED the plane and he was quite entertaining as momma and I just sat and watched my belly move most of the ride (on second thought, it's probably a good thing I stayed with the 1/2 caf latte...because if I had gone with the high octane one he'd have probably judo kicked through my stomach).  The best thing about the flight, was where driving to Cleveland takes us about 8 hours, a plane ride only lasts a little over 1!!  SCORE.  And honestly, I think I'll be vying to fly there more often.  I'm not a good car rider and Drew HATES to make pit-stops (even when I'm not pregnant), so I think the skies are pretty much in my favor from now on. 
Flying High!
We flew into the Akron airport to save $$, so we had to rent a car and drive the 40 minutes it took to get to Olmsted Falls, where Drew's parents live.  I was so happy to be there and relax a little, but the relaxing didn't last long - it was the beginning of a whirlwind 48 hours!  Friday night we just hung around Ma and Pa Sac's house, and I went to bed to rest up for the big day.  Plus, with Will and Aubrey in the house, you can't ever tell how early they're going to wake you up, so I decided turning in early was probably my best bet.

Saturday morning all of the guys got up to tee off at 8am at the same Golf Club we were having our shower at.  So, the guys were gone, I did my nails (and Aubrey's nails), and finally it was our turn to head to the course.  I was so excited for our shower, and Ma Sac and Abby sure did an amazing job with it!!  We had the best food, some amazing guests and Cohen got some FABULOUS gifts!  This kid isn't going to be here for another 3 months and he's already beyond spoiled.  I love it ;)
The 'Lake' diaper cake from Aunt Abby.  Absolutely LOVE!!

Books for my genius baby!!


The guys got done golfing and it was Drew's turn to open some presents.  I love that my mom and his mom and Abby had thought to have some things for him to open - he's already so excited for his little sports fan and his grin was a mile wide opening the things they had for him!

Cohen's first pair of Chuck Taylors!

Cohen's first pair of boxer shorts - embroidered with his name, of course!!

'You can't ever have too much Ohio State stuff'
The shower was amazing and we even had the chance to take a few shots of us on the course afterwards. 
Grammy Mack, Mommy and Cohen!
Aubrey, Aunt Lindsey & 'Baby Cohen'

Mommy & Daddy

23 Weeks and Rockin the Seersucker!!
We were SO blessed that day.  And it reminded me that although I don't get to see my in-laws as much as I'd like to, they're amazing to me and I'm thankful to have them in my life.
Saturday night was one of the best parts of the weekend!  Anyone who knows me well, knows I'm addicted to any and everything Food Network/celebrity chef and Michael Symon is one of my faves!  He's a Cleveland boy, and I was surprised with dinner at his new restaurant, B Spot, at Crocker Park!!  It's a burger joint, and after a totally-worth-it wait, I sat down to one of the best burgers I'd ever eaten, the 'Symon Says' w/ bolonga, coleslaw, whip sauce and american cheese.  They also had these rosemary 'Lola' fries and homemade chips w/ parmesan fondue.  But the best part of the meal was probably dessert - a strawberry almond milkshake.  It. Was. Awesome.  And at 10:35am right now, I want another one.  Or two.  Heck, just keep em coming.  B Spot was FAB and I'm contemplating creating a petition for Michael Symon to open one here in the QC.

Sunday was MOTHER'S DAY!  And I was so excited that I had my momma with me in Cleveland to celebrate with us!  The closer I get to becoming a mommy myself, the more I admire her and how hard she works to be the best for Brandon and I.  There aren't words for how blessed we are and for how much I love her.  If I can be half of the mommy to Cohen that my momma is to me, then he'll be one lucky child.  I have big shoes to fill though, and she set the bar really high.  And I love her more and more every single day for it.
I was also glad I had her with me because I had to say goodbye to Andrew for a week.  I can't remember the last time I cried so hard, especially in a Friendly's parking lot.  I knew it would be hard to kiss him goodbye, but I didn't expect to lose it the way I did.  He's my best friend...and I depend on him so much, every day, even when he's just sitting beside me and not saying a word.  I just need him there.  But, I also know I have to be strong and supportive, so I tried my best to suck it up and leave with a smile.  Fail.
The plane ride home wasn't as great as the one up there - maybe it was because I knew I'd be missing my love, or maybe it was because of the storms we flew back into.  Either way, every time I looked down at the shirt momma had made for me and my first 'Mothers (to be) Day', I grinned and felt better.  Just can't wait til next year when it's officially Mothers Day for me and lil man will be here to share it with me!!
He sure is.

WEEK 23 CRAVINGS:  Still on the green apple kick.  Still on the water w/ lemon juice kick.  Still have to have my daily 1/2 sweet, 1/2 unsweet tea.  So no new cravings...I can't complain though - at least I'm not craving pizza, burgers and fries.  (Mmmmmm....pizza, burgers, and fries....uh oh...)


WEEK 23 "Dose of Daddy":  After the guys got done golfing on Saturday, they came up to eat.  Now, Drew looooooooves to eat.  In fact, within the first 2 months of our relationship he gained about 20 pounds because of his love of food combined with my love of cooking.  But sometimes I just sit back and watch him devour his food.  For whatever reason, it can be wildly entertaining and incredibly impressive.  If Adam Richman ever needs a stand-in for "Man v. Food", I think we found an eligible contestant.  Now, I have to think that if this baby follows his daddy's eating habits, we're going to have to take out a second mortgage on our home to compensate for the grocery bills.  Either that, or Cohen is going to have to start mowing yards at 2 years old.
Looks about right.
WEEK 23 "To Remembers":  To really cherish every single moment of this journey.  I know I've said that before, but this my first experience with all of it.  First kicks, first shower, first pacifier (that I almost cried when I opened).  I look at some of the outfits that we've gotten labled '9 months' and I tear up, just thinking that in less than a year this little blessing I'm carrying will be wearing that size and growing so unbelievable fast.  The past 6 months have flown by, and I wish I had a way to make it slow down because 3 months is going to go by REALLY fast...and I'm so blessed to be able to experience it all. 







No comments:

Post a Comment