Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

28 Week Recap: I've Never Been a Good Test Taker


28 weeks and believe it or not, these are non-maternity pants.
Score 1 for the fatty!
I don't know who I really made the promise to or maybe it was just me being paranoid of people's reaction, but I'm actually posting a picture of my bare belly.  For some reason this one turned out cute (in my opinion - if you don't agree, just smile and nod like you do), and although I promised to never continually post pictures of my bare belly on any social media network, this is MY blog and if you don't like it, well then don't visit.  Easy as that ;)  Now, onto my cute, growing, huge, splotchy (although you can't tell - thank you, Instagram) belly - that contains my cute, growing, huge, hopefully not at all splotchy line backer...

I spent most of this week researching two things:  1) whether or not it's actually possible for this kid to kick through my uterus and make his entrance into this world by simply walking out and being like 'what up mom'...like a boss...and...2) what is Gestational Diabetes/how could I have possibly failed my 1st glucose test when I can't eat more than 5 bites of food at a time/what am I gonna do for the next 2.5 months if they cut off all my sugar intake/what book shall I take to pass the dreaded 3hr test?
I couldn't find any scientific fact to prove that item #1 was possible.  Although, I'm sure that if it is, I'll be the first that it's ever happened to, in which case I'll write a memoir about it and appear on all of the daytime talk shows to discuss my ordeal and I'll be on the NY Times Bestsellers list and meet Bethenny Frankel and Ellen and Anderson Cooper and oh yeah, I may have a jacked up stomach scar from a baby just busting out of it, but heck, I'll be rich and famous so I'll be able to afford Dr Paul Nassif to do my plastic reconstruction surgery and me and his wife Adrienne Maloof will become BFFs and she'll introduce me to all of her Real Housewife friends and give me tons of fab shoes from her exclusive shoe line.   Note to self: once I meet  Andy Cohen, tell him to set aside time for my new reality show entitled "Busting Out Baby".  Ok, so I'm joking, but I wanted to give you all a glimpse of how quick and out of hand things get in my mind.  I usually try to let my imagination run amuck quietly and to myself, but sometimes I just go on rants like these out loud and Drew looks at me like I have 5 heads and just shakes his and walks out of the room, clearly realizing just how crazy this chick that he married is.  Anyway, one man's "crazy" is another's "creative"...RIGHT?!
Now, item #2 is actually pretty serious (or at least it has potential to be).  After thinking for sure that I had aced my first glucose test, I got a call this week to let me know that I had failed it.  Not miserably...I guess the normal range is 70-140 and I scored a 145.  So, it's not terrible, but enough for them to force me to come back, kicking and screaming, to do the dreaded 3 hour test, scheduled for Friday, June 22.  NOT.  AT ALL.  EXCITED.  But I know it's something I need to do for the health and well-being of not only Cohen, but myself.  I've always had blood sugar issues and a bout with hypoglycemia, but I thought the constant thirst and rapid heart rate was from being pregnant, like every other ailment I've had for the past 7 months.  But nope, the blood sugar monster has reared it's ugly head again.  So I fast from midnight Thursday, go in at 8:30 and in the course of 3 hours, drink the NASTY orange drink, have 5 blood pulls and 5 urine tests.  FIVE.  I think the worst thing is having to sit there for 3 hours...I'm bringing a book, but I'm thinking all pregnant ladies that are forced to not only endure the nastiness of the drink, combined with the blood pulls and pee cups AND the 3 hour wait, should be provided free massages, a pedicure and a free ultrasound. 
Note to self: present this option to my insurance provider as well as Rosie Pope.
Anywho, hopefully this test will go better, I won't die from boredom during the wait and I'll be good to go (Gestational Diabetes free) for the next 12 weeks. 

The rest of the week was pretty laid back - got the nursery painted and the design finished and everything ordered (go back to last week's nursery posting if you have no idea what I'm talking about) and Friday night was awesome because we had Friday night DOUBLE date night with the O'Briens at RuSans and once again, I slightly bent the rules as far as sushi for preggos goes, but it was SOOO good and worth it.
Saturday was awesome though - we got up early, picked Brandon up and headed to Pinehurst to visit Mamaw and Papaw.  I hadn't seen them since Christmas Day, when I announced the pregnancy, so everyone was SUPER excited to see how big I am and to hear how everything was going!  I had the best time just catching up with everyone and eating all of the good food (big shout out to AP for the dark chocolate raspberry brownies and to Momma for the Pina Colada cake...OMG).  Anyone who knows anything about me knows that I'm a HUGE Papaw's Girl.  He's been my hero from the day I can remember and although it breaks my heart to see him get older, I am so thankful for eacha nd every second we get to spend together.  He's a man of few words these days, but when I walk into the room you can see the happiness in his eyes and he always has something to say to me.  We asked if he was excited about the baby and he said 'oh yes' and when I told him it was time for me to leave he grabbed my arm tight and asked 'why'.  Then he said for me to 'come back soon', which of course I promised I would.  He's amazing - and I love him so much and I can't wait for him to hold Cohen.  Everyone is so excited to meet this baby and I can't wait for him to find out firsthand what an amazing family he's beyond blessed to be born into.
Papaw's Girl
B and his Papaw (biggest Braves fans ever) - Me, Papaw & B
Me, Drew, Cousin Kevin, B and Papaw - Mamaw's Girl - Me and AP (Cohen's other Grammaw)

WEEK 28 CRAVINGS:  Now that summer is officially here, I guess it's fitting that this week I craved something seasonal.  I still have mad love for my delicious and disgustingly sour green apples, but I've been really intrigued this week with cherries.  Not maraschino cherries (although those are my favorite part of an ice cream sundae and I could seriously sit and eat an entire jar), but real, red, you-gotta-spit-the-seed-out cherries.  And while they're not cheap ($4.99 for a bag, at minimum), they're so worth it.  And I'm already into my 2nd bag for the week.  Mmmmmm...cherries.

WEEK 28 "Dose of Daddy":  This week, Drew did something really sweet.  He's good to me all the time (even when I don't deserve it, which seems to be less and less, the more pregnant and irritable I get), but every now and then he'll surprise me with something from my favorite jewelry boutique City Art Works off Woodlawn Rd.  When we lived off Woodlawn a few years ago, he'd stop and pick things up all the time.  But now that we're not really close to it anymore, the prizes are a little less frequent (but somehow a little more special).  So, during one of my 1million+ bathroom breaks last week, I was so excited to see a white box with a purple and pink bow tied around it.  They hand wrap every gift there, and there's no mistaking when it's a CAW prize!  The box was set on top of the toilet paper holder, which at first I thought was a little weird, but I opened it and inside were a gorgeous pair of silver earrings!  I went back into the living room and asked why he put them there and he said 'you're in the bathroom so much, I figured you may as well be rewarded for it one time'.  Haha - and with that explanation I was immediately reminded of exactly why I love him. 
Yay for 'PRIZES'!
WEEK 28 "To Remembers":  Spending time with my family this past weekend really made me stop and think about how fast time goes by and how the people that you look at when you're small and think are invincible are actually people too - their hair turns white, they walk slower, and they have a harder time speaking.  I remember thinking that MY grandparents would never get old.  And by the grace of God, this has almost been proven because I've been blessed with 29 years of my grandparents being happy and healthy and vibrant and able to enjoy in every milestone I've ever had.  But the fact is that like I said, they're human.  The important thing is that you never stop creating memories.  The memories yesterday, of the camper and the beach trips and Disney World and Christmases and Braves games are just as special to me as the ones that we created last weekend, where we sat around the table and laughed and pushed Papaw around in his wheelchair and ate together and just enjoyed being in the same room  as eachother.  The memories may be different, but they're all so very special in their own way.  And as much as it breaks my heart, I know Papaw won't be able to watch Cohen graduate highschool, but I know how much he loves me and loves my little boy already.  And that no matter what, I have a million of amazing memories to share with him.
4 generations!
BEYOND blessed.




No comments:

Post a Comment