Powered By Blogger

Monday, July 2, 2012

29 Week Recap: Braids McBadNurse

29 Weeks
(and the cleaners at work STILL haven't Windexed the mirror).
Wow - I can't believe I'm sitting here and 29 weeks has gone by - and there's only 11 more.  AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!  Should I officially start freaking out now, or should I wait a few more weeks?  The nursery is almost finished (pics to come) so that brings my anxiety level WAY down.  And it seems like every spare minute we have is spent putting together strollers or swings, doing laundry (man, Dreft is expensive) and organizing odds and ends.  Whatever spare time we do have is spent sleeping.  Although I'm starting to feel like no matter how much I do get, it's still never enough...guess this is just preparation for Motherhood...

Week 29 started off with Father's Day 2012!!  We had a great day - maybe the best Fathers Day we've ever had - celebrating with Daddy and of course, the Daddy to be...
Speaking of the 'Daddy to be'...it was revealed to me by my father in law that he made the comment on Mothers Day a few weeks ago, that I didn't need a MD present because "I'm not a mother yet".  This statement has led to MANY discussions and valid points made on my part that while I don't yet have a child to hold in my arms, I have housed his son and given up pretty much everything that used to bring me joy, for the past 7 months.  If that's not sacrifice enough to earn a MD gift, I don't know what is.  While I've received apology after apology and admission that (as usual) I am right, I know that this will be brought up countless more times and will be forgotten about only when I get a gift next year TWICE as fab as expected (a good excuse to purchase a pair of size 5.5 Christian Louboutin black stiletto pumps maybe?????)  But I disgress...  Being the thoughtful, loving person that I am, who LOVES to give gifts more than I've ever liked receiving them, I had plenty of gifts for Drew on Fathers Day.  Him being the scotch drinker that he prides himself to be, I had a set of rocks glasses etched w his initials.  And Cohen gave him a frame w an ultrasound pic inside.  And even Greyson gave him a candle.  So, while he's not an actual 'Father' yet, I wanted to show the appreciation that myself, the cat and our unborn son have for him and the Father that he's going to be in a few weeks.  ***Note to my male readers (if I even have any) - ALWAYS get your significant other a gift on holidays, birthdays, anniversaries, etc etc etc...we say we don't expect it, but we do - and we're severely disappointed when we don't receive something.  It doesn't have to be expensive - just thoughtful.  And trust me, it'll be wayyyy more easier to just get something than to have to deal with the wrath of not.  Rant over.
Yup, all for 'Youre not a father yet' Fathers Day.


Anyway, back to the guy who's been a father for 29 years and gave me life - my daddy!  :)  We grew up loving baseball, and so we thought it was fitting to get tickets to the Charlotte Knights game since it was on FD this year!!  So, we had hotdogs (that weren't $7 at the ballpark) at our house beforehand and headed to the game!!  It was hot - so very hot.  But we had GREAT seats and although the Knights lost, we all considered the day a complete win considering all of the fun we had!
View from our seats!!

A little pre-game action.

Daddy and his kiddos.

Best dad ever deserves the coolest can ever.

Couldn't take the heat - so me and my ice had to take it to the Handicap section for the last 4 innings.

I'm special.
That Wednesday was incredibly special because we had our 3d/4d ultrasound and got to put a sweet face with Cohen's name!  I don't think I've ever felt so much love - it was incredible!  For more details, refer back to the blogpost: http://mommasac.blogspot.com/2012/06/first-time-i-saw-your-face.html

The remainder of the week was pretty uneventful up until Friday, when I had to be at the dr at 8am for my 3hr glucose test.  OMG - next pregnancy I will Google until I find a way to ensure a passing score for my initial test, that way I never ever have to endure such torture again.  First off, it's incredibly ridiculous to require any pregnant woman to fast for 12 hours prior to the test (especially when after the 12 hours, you know you still cant have anything to eat or drink for the 3 hours that you're actually at the dr during the test).  I got there at 8, had my first blood pull w no issues, then was forced to drink the sugary stuff.  Last time it was orange - this time, fruit punch.  And I gotta admit, it wasn't THAT bad this time.  I drank it within the allotted 5 minutes and didn't gag once.  Then I had to wait an hour - and as I prided myself on getting the drink down with no problems, it hit my completely empty system and I spent the first hour dry heaving and laying on the table in the exam room trying to keep the ceiling and floor from spinning.  But I did have an appt w Dr Belle within this hour, so that kept my mind off it for a few minutes, as I heard Cohen's heartbeat and got measured and weighed.  Dr Belle said I was DOWN a pound since my appt 2 weeks prior - explain to me how I work out relentlessly and dont lose a pound, but I'm creating a human being, expected to gain a pound a week, and I lose one!??  Man, the weight gods are rude.  Anywho, Dr Belle didn't seem concerned and as quick as she was in, she was out.  Then hour 1 was done - time for another blood pull.  This time, a different chick did it (we will refer to her as 'Braids McBadNurse') and clearly she had no idea what she was doing.  I doubt I was the first person she's ever taken blood from, but you could have fooled me.  She put the needle in, collapsed a vein, but still attempted to draw blood by just wiggling the needle around IN MY ARM.  Seriously?  I'm already nauseas and tired and on the verge of either puking or passing out.  She finally had to ask the 1st nurse to do it, which of course she did without any pain or problems at all.  (I'll spare you the disgusting picture of what my arm looks like right now, but let's just say it's every color of the rainbow and about the size of a softball).  Hour 2 passed and I started to feel better - and nurse 1 did my blood pull (thank God), and I was into my last hour.  I relaxed in the waiting room and finally, at noon, got called back for my last pull.  This one was a doozy.  So much so, that I forgot my book and my sunglasses and darted out of there and to my car so fast that I'm sure I stirred up some dust.  I sit down in the lab, overly excited that the only thing standing between me and a Big Mac was this last blood pull.  And then, Braids McBadNurse turns around w the needle in her hand.  She was sweet, so I decided to cut her a break and let her attempt to redeem herself and the bruise that she caused.  Fail.  She decided to try my other arm because she noticed the result of her right arm attempt, and immediately as she put the needle in, NOTHING.  No blood...no vein...no bueno.  I wasn't willing to look like a domestiv violence victim on both arms, so I asked politely if nurse 1 could do it instead.  I felt bad bc I know Braids didn't mean any harm, but I couldn't handle anything else at this point.  So, needle in, no pain, blood out, and I pretty much ran to my car, leaving half of the things I kept to keep me entertained behind.  Luckily, it's less than 2 weeks until I visit my home-away-from-home again...so I'll just grab em then. 

That afternoon, Drew's parents came into town to spend the weekend with us.  I didn't feel well most of Friday afternoon/evening, so we hung out around the house and just relaxed.  Saturday we spent the day at the pool and had dinner at Maggiano's that night!  We were so stuffed afterwards we headed straight home and I'm pretty sure we were all passed out by 10pm.


WEEK 29 CRAVINGS:  Ice, ice baby.  I don't know whether to blame this craving on the heat or my anemia, but I want ice - all the time.  And only crunchy ice will do.  I favor Sonic, Showmars, the Shell station up the street from my office.  If there's a place that sells the 'nugget' ice anywhere within a 5 mile radius of me at all times, I'll find it.  I'm not gonna lie - I've priced these ice makers on Craigslist - but dang they're expensive :(  Looks like it's the drivethru for me...

WEEK 29 "Dose of Daddy":  I'm thinking of renaming this section 'Dose of Daddy & Uncle Boo', considering when there's a good story, it usually involves both of them.  It was their personal goal of the day at the Knights Game to catch Cohen's first foul ball.  I swear they jumped up even when the ball was like a million feet away from us.  Anyway, long story longer, they finally got one.  I don't know the exact story of how it happened, but here's the picture and description that Uncle Boo put on his Facebook page. 

Awesome day!!! Took Dad to the Knights Game, got him some gems, and highlight of the day... "this foul ball was hot off a rail, Dru saved the Cohen with his hands... Ball deflected off his hands flew in the air and UNCLE BOO caught it!!!!!!" so crazy! His 1st foul ball! Proud uncle! (2 b)

WEEK 29 "To Remembers":  In lieu of Father's Day, I have to dedicate this week's "To Remembers" to my daddy.  Some of my very favorite memories begin with him.  When I was little I used to have chronic ankle aches that would strike in the middle of the night.  And he was always there to rub them and give me Panadol (haha, remember that nasty chewable stuff?) and to take my mind off the pain, he'd make up stories about "Freddy the Frog".  I loved these moments because I loved his stories and I would try so hard to stay awake, but always fell asleep right in the middle.  And I'll never forget 'The Magic Chair', where he'd fold his arms in front of him and I'd sit in them and he'd carry me up to bed.  He brought me Icee's from KMart every single night that I had the chicken pox.  And he took me to buy my first car when I was 16.  But above all of these great memories, my favorite was when we danced at my wedding.  He kept me cool and calm and collected the entire way down the isle, but the dance was where it all came together.  As Steven Curtis Chapman sang the words to "Cinderella", I realized that no matter what had happened between my parents, the relationship between my daddy and I had never changed.  I had always been, and will always be, his Cinderella.
She spins and she sways
To whatever song plays
Without a care in the world
And I'm sitting here wearing
The weight of the world on my shoulders

It's been a long day
And there's still work to do
She's pulling at me
Saying "Dad, I need you

There's a ball at the castle
And I've been invited
And I need to practice my dancing
Oh, please, Daddy, please?"

So I will dance with Cinderella
While she is here in my arms
'Cause I know something the prince never knew
Oh, I will dance with Cinderella
I don't want to miss even one song
'Cause all too soon the clock will strike midnight
And she'll be gone...

She says he's a nice guy and I'd be impressed
She wants to know if I approve of the dress
She says, "Dad, the prom is just one week away
And I need to practice my dancing
Oh, please, Daddy, please?"

So I will dance with Cinderella
While she is here in my arms
'Cause I know something the prince never knew
Oh, I will dance with Cinderella
I don't want to miss even one song
'Cause all too soon the clock will strike midnight
And she'll be gone

She will be gone

Well, she came home today with a ring on her hand
Just glowing and telling us all they had planned
She says, "Dad, the wedding's still six months away
But I need to practice my dancing
Oh, please, Daddy, please?"

So I will dance with Cinderella
While she is here in my arms
'Cause I know something the prince never knew
Oh, I will dance with Cinderella
I don't want to miss even one song
'Cause all too soon the clock will strike midnight
And she'll be gone

No comments:

Post a Comment